Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog #4

Thoreau and Emmerson really went about getting their voice's across the right way in my opinion. I had to read through Emmerson's piece a couple of times because it didn't make any sense to me but I enjoyed reading his section a lot because there were a lot of quotes that I liked in it. "The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried. "   The power we get is through our intelligence and at 20 years old I know that I have not experienced anything compared to the generation above us, and Emmerson gets this. This quote is very powerful because we shouldn't question the strength of a person until we are positive they have put their best foot foward, and not only should we not question one person but definitly not an entire generation hense the second part of the quote "and none but he knows what that is which he can do" .   The last section of the quote reminds me of my mom when I was growing up in elementary school because I tried everything from the tuba and trumpet to almost every sport we could do. The point here is that it was that time of year last year when my elementary school was showing all the band instruments to my 11 yr old sister and she wanted to play the trombone.  I 99.9999999% KNEW that she would not stick with it and so did my brother so we were telling our mom not to waste the money on it. She got frustrated with us and told us its not the point that she's not going to stick with it, she gets to try something knew and we dont know whats going to happen, what if she likes it.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great quote from Emerson. Experience is definitely a big part of acquiring knowledge. I like how you related it to our generation and how older generations should not judge us because of that. I never really thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the part of the quote that says "and none but he knows what that is which he can do". I totally agree with you that you must try something on your own to see if you like it, and not listen to what people are telling you because in the end you may end up liking it a lot. If you always listen to what people tell you, you might miss out on a tone of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your analysis and breakdown of that quote. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger (elementary school) I played the drums. I didn't stick with it, but I think that my mother was of the same opinion is yours, I got to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really couldn't agree with you more. I really liked how you looked further into that quote and broke it down into pieces to give a better insight.

    ReplyDelete